Monday, April 8, 2013

Paleo Diet "Cheating" Backfires

I have so many things I'd like to write about, but find it nearly impossible to find the time to sit down to write.  But there is something I would like to share sooner, rather than later.

Following the Paleo diet now that my hubby is home from his deployment has had its challenges (and is one of the things I've been wanting to write about).  I knew it would be difficult, as he was deprived of any of his favorite foods for 4 months; when he gets back to the States all he wants to do is eat out at all of his favorite restaurants.  So we've been hitting up Mexican (lots of beans, rice, corn, and cheese), Japanese (sushi with lots of soy), Indian (lots of milk, rice and wheat), Thai (lots of rice, noodles, and soy) and Greek (milk, wheat, and processed meats) restaurants.  I try as hard as I can to eat Paleo, but some places it's nearly impossible and I've made the decision to "cheat" so I could eat something rather than nothing.

Every one of those times I cheated, I didn't feel all that great the next day and the baby, who holds me accountable of what I eat, wasn't his normal, happy self.  Enough of a reason to not cheat, right?  Yes.

Well, this past weekend my daughter was invited to a friend's birthday party.  The food her parents provided was way better than the standard run of the mill greasy pizza.  They had fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and snack items (which prior to eating gluten-free/paleo, was a totally acceptable thing in my book). In fact, it was much like the kind of food I serve at our kids' birthday parties.  Their meat, however, was chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A.  Before eating Paleo, Chick-Fil-A was the only fast food place I'd take my kids, but shortly before switching our diet, I learned that the nuggets are not nearly as healthy for you as I thought they'd be, the grilled ones included.  (There's a great read about that on the blog "100 Days of Real Food").  Anyway, as a treat, I decided to let my daughter have a few of the nuggets (I mean, it's been months since she last ate at Chick-Fil-A, what could a few really do?).  And I decided I would try a couple of them too.

Big mistake.

Within about an hour or two, I had such a splitting headache come on out of nowhere, I was sure I would end up with a migraine.  Thankfully, taking a couple Tylenol soon enough stopped the headache before it got so bad that only sleep would cure it. Phew!  A diverted disaster.  Not so much.

The next morning I woke up with a foggy head.  I couldn't focus.  Everything was in slow motion.  I couldn't concentrate on anything. It was déjà vu of how I felt when I was eating bread everyday a few months ago.  Heavy feet, weak arms, lethargic.  All of it.  

I have no doubt I felt that way because I ate two of those chicken nuggets. Crazy I can be so sensitive, right?

Well, today, two days later, the baby has been spitting up huge amounts of milk right after feeding.  He hasn't done that in two months, since I started eating Paleo and stopped eating bread.  

Coincidence?  I think not.

So, if I've learned anything about this diet, it's that it really does work at making us all feel better and forces us to eat much healthier too.  That's not really so bad, is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment